Ah, the versatile pretzel! Whether eaten plain, topped with mustard or gourmet-style, this popular American food is a snack-time staple, and the booming industry proves it. More than $550 million worth of pretzels are sold each year in the U.S. and the average American eats two pounds of pretzels annually. That's a whole lot of snacking! Search now through our directory of fun pretzel franchises!
At this time, there are no franchises that match your search request. Please revise your search to view other opportunities.
Fun Facts: Pretzel
- 80 percent of pretzels consumed in the USA are made in Pennsylvania, where hard pretzels originated.
- The average U.S. citizen consumes up to two pounds of pretzels per year
- The largest pretzel ever made was 5 feet across and weighed 40 pounds.
- The phrase "tying the knot" came from the Swiss, who incorporate a 'lucky pretzel' in wedding ceremonies. Newlyweds traditionally make a wish and break a pretzel, the same way people in other cultures break a wishbone or a glass.
- The exact year pretzels were created is not know for certain, but many sources suggest that they were probably invented by Christian monks sometime around 610 A.D.
- Pretzels were made by hand until 1935 when the first automated pretzel machine was introduced